November 27, 2011

Oh, Boogie

Tonight at church someone told me that he and some other folks had been discussing some Boogie-isms, like this one: once while song leading during a church service, BIL2 asked if anyone had any praises or testimonies. The Boogie's hand shot up before we could stop her. "Yes?" said BIL2, "Do you have a praise?"
"Well, I think so," the Boogie shrugged, "I guess."

And this one: one day months ago she told FIL, "I know everyone that I know ... but I don't know strangers."

On the way home from church tonight she asked me the meaning of several words. One was "bidet." Bidet? Really? Honestly I think she made it up not realizing it was a real word. I didn't care to explain that one, knowing that she would be fascinated and just pass it on to her cousins, so I asked, "What do you think it means?"
"Well, it just means when you're angry and you're mad and you're angry. That's just what it means." Right. "Okay, Honey, let's think of some other words we can talk about."

A few minutes later she asked, "Honey, how do you spell 'tea'? Tea is a drink, and it's also a letter, but I'm talking about the drink."

At bedtime the Pheebs climbed into her sister's bed. We tucked them both in together and said good night. "Noooo!" protested the Boogie, "I want Peabody to sleep in her own bed!"
"Why can't she sleep in your bed?" we asked.
"Because my bed is very special to me and I just want to sleep in it by myself."

On the morning after Thanksgiving the first words out of her mouth were, "It's after Thanksgiving, now can I watch Charlie Brown Christmas?"

Tonight she wanted to watch the show about that red-nosed reindeer whose name she thinks is Ludolph.

Several days ago she asked Eric if she could watch "Lou's Clues."
"Oh, you mean Blue's Clues?" he asked.
"Okay," she shrugged, "if that's what you want to call it."

Yesterday morning she said, "What are we going to do today, Honey? I wanna go somewhere fun."
"Where do you want to go?" I asked.
"I wanna go to Chickfila for lunch and Friday's for dinner."
"Who's going to pay for THAT?" asked Eric.
"You are!" she said, poking him in the chest.

Today I mentioned to Eric, "Wouldn't it be fun if all of my family could meet us in, say, Florida one Christmas? All of us together, no gifts, just a really fun trip!"
The Boogie's ears perked up. "I wanna go to Florida! Would Pops and Lela be there?"
"Yes," I said, "Pops and Lela and your cousins from Washington. Wouldn't that be a fun trip? Maybe we can do that someday."
"I wanna go for Christmas!" She was very excited.
"Well, maybe one year we can go for Christmas, but it would mean no presents. Would that be okay with you, to not have any presents, just a fun trip?"
"Well, maybe we could just bring some presents," she raised her eyebrows quizzically, "some very small presents, like this big," she measured a few inches across with her hands. What a negotiator.

No comments: