April 27, 2011

Hives

The Phebis had hives again this past week. This was the third or fourth time ... hmm, I can't remember. For sure she's had them three times: the first time in January; then again right after I had the flu in February; and I thought another time but I can't remember when that was. Anyway this was the worst of all but she didn't seem like she was itchy and she was generally pretty happy, so I kept an eye on her and gave her benadryl when she seemed uncomfortable. I cannot for the life of me pinpoint the cause. Since she breaks out all over her body I'm sure it's something she is eating or perhaps breathing? But I haven't been using anything new (detergent, fabric softener, cleaning products, soap) or feeding her anything new (at least I don't think I have) so I just don't know.

Yesterday morning after several days I finally called the pediatrician to ask how long I could continue to give her benadryl. I had put it off because I knew they were going to want to see her ... and sure enough, they wanted to me to bring her in. I didn't want to pay my thirty dollar copay to have a doctor look at her and say, "Yep, it's hives." But they seemed concerned over the phone and wanted to see her, so I took her in, paid thirty dollars, and the doctor looked at her and said, "Yep, it's hives."

And of course by this morning they were completely gone. Figures.

While we were at the doctor's office waiting in an examination room, the Boogie asked, "Where is the doctor? When is he coming?"
I said, "Pretty soon. I don't know if it will be a man doctor or a lady doctor. There are men and women doctors here. Would you like to be a doctor when you grow up?"
"No," she answered right away. I was surprised, considering her ongoing infatuation with all things medical! "Well then, what would you like to be when you grow up?"
"A mom," she said, "like you! And I will go to a hospital and get a baby."

I take that as a great compliment!

Of course, when we had a similar conversation the other day it went a little differently. She heard a song on PBS Kids that said something about "you can be whatever you want to be." Her face lit up.
"I can be whatever I want to be?" she asked excitedly.
"Sure," I said, thinking she would say she wanted to be a firefighter or a teacher or something, "what would you like to be?"
"An elephant!" she exclaimed.

Sometimes I forget how literally preschoolers take things!

No comments: