July 19, 2011

Washington: Second Weekend

Our second Saturday was spent in Seattle. We joined B & D and their kids, as well as Auntie Vee, for a trip to the Bite of Seattle food festival near the Space Needle. The morning was gray and drizzly which actually worked to our advantage -- there weren't as many people there when we first arrived. It was really fun! We tried fried gator on a stick, crab cakes, blackened salmon sliders, young coconut milk (juice?), deep-fried green beans, elephant ears, lemonade slushies, chocolate-covered strawberry kabobs, deep-fried macaroni and cheese, and I can't remember what else. There was some live music and PLENTY of great people-watching. All of the kids did really great and we didn't lose a single one of them, even when it started getting really crowded. Only once did the Boogie get separated from us for a moment or two, just long enough for a couple of ladies to stop and ask her if she was okay! Praise the Lord I realized she wasn't with our group and caught sight of her when I did.

After making the rounds a few times we went back to the cars and traded children: the Boogie went with her cousins for a sleepover, and JL came with us to do a little more sightseeing. I should have thought that through better. If I had I would have realized that he wouldn't be too comfortable coming with me and Eric, since he barely knows us.  But Vee came with us which was good and JL seemed to be okay with his Auntie Vee around.

Eric and I wanted to go up in the Space Needle but what we didn't consider was that it was a Saturday and everyone and their brother also wanted to go up in the Space Needle. The line was unbelievably long and we knew that it would be too much to expect JL and the Phebis to be patient while we waited in it. So, we made our way through the hordes of people back to the cars and drove to Pike Place.

We made a stop at Cost Plus World Market. What a cool place! Sadly there are none in the northeast. I could have spent a long time in there. We walked around Pike Place for a little bit. Actually we fought our way around Pike Place for a while. It was insanely crowded!

 We watched some fish throwing; bought some smoked salmon; sampled jams, jellies, honey, and candy; looked at jewelry; checked out some chocolate pasta (but didn't buy any -- now I wish we had!); and listened to street musicians. It was crazy but fun. While we were inside it rained a bit but cleared up by the time we were ready to leave.

We passed a Tully's coffee on our way back to the car so of course we had to stop. We let the kids roam for a few minutes. JL was fascinated by the dog statues.

Pheebs was slightly interested in them

but kept going back to the drink cooler which was apparently way more interesting than giant dogs.

Both kids passed out in the car on the drive home. Vee took her own car and JL rode with us -- I was kind of worried that he would cry for his mom, but he only whimpered a bit before going to sleep. He was a sober little guy. The only time I got him to crack a smile was when I told him we were going to Pops and Lela's house.

Vee followed us back and that night we played a card game. Pops, Lela, Eric, Furry and I had played it several times during the week, but this was the first time we played with Vee. She was very tired and especially goofy. Watching her play was more fun than actually playing the game, which is really fun in itself.

We frequently had to suspend the game while she laughed! Furry especially was cracking her up. At one point Vee insisted that a word be looked up in the dictionary, to which Furry responded, "Oh, we have to book-Google it?"

The Boogie had a fantastic time with her cousins during their sleepover. They played games, watched movies, dressed up, and ate fun snacks. She was so worn out that she slept through the entire evening service on Sunday.

On Sunday morning we all attended church together! That was pretty cool.

After the morning service we took some family photos.
Everyone all together!
Just the girls.
Vee and I were photobombed a couple of times before we managed to get a good self-portrait.

Then we got Mom in on it too!

We went back to Pops and Lela's for pizza and then taught the card game to B & D while the kids played doctor or hospital or something.

A few more pictures before B & D and their clan had to leave.
Just the boys!

The married children.

Furry, Ben, me and Vee.

Mom and Pops with us four kids.

All the grandkids together. :) Cuties :)

And the marry-ins ... they are good sports to put up with all of us!

It was a great day! I love my family.


Chrissy said...

Ok...so umm...apparently I've been missing a lot! I always get to your site off of ours and it wasn't showing any updates! What fun it was to read back over your whole trip! It looks like such a wonderful WONDERFUL time! I have to say, it's amazing how much you and Ben look a like and Vee and Furry look a like. : ) Anyways, what a awesome trip you've had! I've thought of you often! It will be great to see you guys tomorrow. : )

Jersey Mama said...

LOL nope you didn't miss anything. I didn't care to announce that we were away from home, so I wrote the posts and saved them, then published them all at once.

Dear Abbi said...

Aww, I'm so glad you had such a nice time with your family!! I can't get over how alike the cousins look!! And you look so much like your beautiful mama! Sorry you had to return to the real world. :( I'm glad you have great memories!