February 1, 2012

Thankfulness Month: Day One

A while ago a blogger friend would list five things she was thankful for in every blog entry she would post. I was so impressed by that that I started listing things I was thankful for during my devotions, and I'm still doing it. It's so easy to take things for granted, especially the little things. This forces me to think about those things and acknowledge them. Sometimes I see a lot of repeats in my lists, like my family, or our jobs, or our home, or *ahem* morning coffee. Usually I'm thankful for good things, but when I'm going through a trying time I am reminded "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

On Sunday night we had what our pastor calls "popcorn preaching" where several men preach for just a few minutes each. This time he had several teens taking their turn. One of them said, "What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you were thankful for today?" I've heard that before and as always it really struck me. That's one thing I'm thankful for, that I do have more than just the things I thanked God for yesterday!

So, in a combined effort to be thankful and to get back in the habit of blogging more, I am having a self-proclaimed Thankfulness Month here. I may not write every day ... well, okay, to be realistic, I probably won't post every day ... but I'm going to try to write several times a week.

Today I'm thankful for:
-the opportunity to sleep in after a restless night
-a full pantry and fridge
-health insurance
-a healthy family
-Eric's job

What are you thankful for?

No comments: