November 12, 2008

Tired Mama

This mama needs 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I can get by on 6. Less than that makes me Mama the Grouch. I could not go to sleep last night. It is so frustrating to lay in bed wide awake and want so badly to go to sleep and not be able to. My Mamaw in Kentucky has suffered from insomnia for years and years and it is my irrational fear that I will develop it too. Is insomnia hereditary? A little trick that usually works for me is to start praying for people. I'll pray for a handful of folks and conk right out. Last night it didn't work quite as well, but I got a lot of praying in before finally dozing off! Then the Boogie woke up at 3:00. She is cutting four teeth so we've been doing this most nights for the past month or so. I Tylonaled her, rocked her, put her back in the crib, and got into bed. We repeated that a couple more times (minus the Tylonal.) By then it was almost 4:00 and time for DH to get up, so I gave up trying to get the Boogie to sleep. After he left for work we tried again but she didn't go to sleep until after 5:00 so, of course, neither did I. I may have gotten about 6 hours altogether which isn't bad and disqualifies me from being Mama the Grouch. On the plus side, I did all the housework yesterday and all I have to do today is fold laundry! That's a nice sit-down job. Maybe tonight we'll set up the little crib in the living room so the Boogie and I can sleep out here if we need to. That way we can keep from disturbing DH and avoid walking around on creaky floors.

Yesterday was Veteran's Day. I didn't mention anything in my post yesterday because it didn't occur to me. But I am very, very thankful for every man and every woman who has fought for the freedoms that we have in this country!

3 comments:

Katina said...

I had insomnia for close to two years in between baby #1 and baby #2. The worst thing you can do is worry about whether or not you will get it b/c its in the family. Try to relax and not think about sleeping. It can be really hard to do though, I know from experience, esp. when you are irrational and tired!

As an old insomnia pro, I feel your pain, it is a miserable exsistence! Hope you get some sleep tonight. Nothing like a baby to mess up your sleep cycle! :) Kids are a blessing...they teach us adaptability.

Cove Girl said...

I have insomnia due to some chemical imbalances, but that's besides the point.

I don't know if this will work for you because of the boogie, but I'll take a melatonin supplement, once all else has failed. It takes about a half hour to kick in, and they come as low as 3mg. I almost never feel groggy the next day, but again you've got a little one and I don't so it might not work as well for you at this point.

I hope that you can get some sleep. I hate it when my insomnia flares up.

Dear Abbi said...

I second the melatonin recommendation. I keep some on the shelf as a last ditch effort, and it works for me. Babies have a way of messing with every, last area of our lives, don't they? I never had sleep issues of any kind until after baby #3. She's done me in across the board. :)