July 27, 2008

My Couch Plan

Our couch is dark blue. It has two seat cushions and five larger cushions that go along the back and sides. It was previously owned by a person with a dog. I know this because it came to our apartment covered with yellow dog fur. It was free and that is why we own it despite its previous dog-inhabited home. You can kind of see it in this picture. (I love this picture because it makes me think of Randy in A Christmas Story. "I can't put my arms down!" Also it reminds me of a tiny, pink Oompa Loompa. But the purpose of the picture is to show you the couch so please do your best to ignore the cute personage in front of it. I know, I know, it is difficult.)
It is structurally in pretty good shape. There are no holes or anything in the upholstery and the frame is solid. It's lightweight enough for me to move it around by myself. BUT here is my problem -- I have shampooed it twice and vacuumed it many times, and despite that I still occasionally find dog hair on it. This is gross. So I came up with a Great Plan. I'll slipcover it! I know that slipcovers are notorious for being hard to fit onto furniture, and they slide around and untuck when they are supposed to stay tucked, and they just look like covers. But I did some searching around and found these. I think they are cool because they supposedly conform the the shape of the couch. Of course I won't pay full price for them. I'll find them on eBay! I'll cover the couch and the seat cushions, and replace the rest of the cushions with some new ones, probably from Ikea. I'm very excited about my Plan. It has many good parts: (1) I can choose a color other than blue (which is not my favorite home decor color), (2) it won't cost nearly as much as getting a new couch so if something happens to it I won't care very much, and (3) when it gets dirty I can just throw it in the washer.
Yes, this is a good Plan.

No comments: